The American Spectator Feed
Witty political and cultural commentary from the nation’s capital
- Got a College Debt Problem? Social Security Could Solve Itby Tom Giovanetti on October 22, 2019 at 4:08 am
Young Americans are currently struggling to repay an enormous amount of money to the federal government in the form of federal student loan debt. And the federal government will soon be struggling to pay an enormous amount of money to...
- Trump-Supported Vaping Bans Are Decoys for Crony Capitalismby Jared Whitley on October 22, 2019 at 4:07 am
There’s a concept in business called the “decoy effect,” whereby crafty marketers present an unfavorable option to manipulate consumers toward a more profitable one. The classic business-school example is movie theaters […]
- Steak ’n Shake: The Hill’s Last Best Hopeby Nic Rowan on October 22, 2019 at 4:06 am
There is something romantic — at least to a certain kind of swamp rat — about the prospect of dining in the Rayburn cafeteria on Capitol Hill. It offers all the glitz of a C-SPAN 2 program: a collection of...
- The Young, the Restless, and Bernieby William Murchison on October 22, 2019 at 4:06 am
A New York Times opinion column acquaints humanity with the injustice of forbidding the vote to 16- and 17-year-olds — who, nevertheless, would gain the franchise once a budding movement to that end came to fruition — and then […]
- President Trump Understands What Congress Does Not: Syria Is Not America’s Warby Doug Bandow on October 22, 2019 at 4:05 am
Congress wouldn’t declare war or even approve presidential troop deployments in Syria. But sanctimonious legislators now are preening for the cameras, demanding that U.S. military force remain entangled in that tragic nation, […]
- Mitt Romney Implodes After Outing of Secret Twitter Personaby Jeffrey Lord on October 22, 2019 at 4:05 am
So. Mitt Romney is out of the closet. Comes the news from the left-leaning Slate (which gleaned its initial information from an Atlantic story) that Romney has been caught with a secret Twitter account in the name of […]
- Trump Will Win in 2020 Because of Impeachmentby David Catron on October 21, 2019 at 4:03 am
Trump will win reelection in 2020 for three reasons: First, the voters are always reluctant to replace a president in a time of peace and prosperity, regardless of his perceived flaws. Second, a transparently partisan impeachment vote in […]
- Endless War in Syria via Iraqby Jed Babbin on October 21, 2019 at 4:02 am
In a campaign rally in Minneapolis about 10 days ago, President Trump talked about his sudden decision to withdraw U.S. troops from Syria. He said, “We don’t have any soldiers there because we left, we won, we left, take a...
- ‘God Is a Nats Fan’: A Kid From New York Remembersby Richard Langworth on October 21, 2019 at 4:01 am
Yankee Stadium, 1958 When Washington was in town, the drill was always the same: Play hooky; 15¢ for a bus to the Staten Island Ferry; a nickel ferry ride and 15¢ more for the BMT to Woodlawn and Jerome avenues....
- Wifey, My Empress of Forgivenessby Ben Stein on October 21, 2019 at 4:01 am
Sunday I am suffering terribly from (1) My osteoarthritis in my right knee, which hurts like the dickens every time I move my leg, especially going up stairs, and (2) An insect bite on my back. I think it must...